Remember learning in one of your first biology classes that about two-thirds of the body is made up of water? Seems impossible doesn't it? And while the truth is that the percent of water in the body varies, one thing is certain: Water is vital to keep your body running well and is the best thing for you when you are thirsty. Drink at least four glasses of water a day and avoid sugary drinks – which are basically sugar water with no vitamins, minerals or protein.
Tips to switch from fruit juice or soda pop:
- Serve water between meals instead of sugary drinks.
- Fill reusable water bottles to bring in the car or on the go.
- Keep a pitcher of water in the fridge.
- Put a slice of orange, lemon or lime to add flavor.
- If your children are involved in sports, insist on water and not "sports drinks".